Skip to main content

Pet psychology

Some of you may know that my puppy, Maddy, is a pretty good dock jumping puppy. At least we like to think so. Having qualified for the Purina Incredible Dog Challange in her first year is what I would call exceptional. Especially, since many others try and try agin to get to go and never get close. We are fortunate. For those of you that are unknowing-the Purina IDC is the World Series and the Super Bowl rolled up into one event-for dogs. The best of the best and for 1 year we get to brag about Maddy finishing 7th (um, yeah, we thought that was pretty good)until next years event and your dog finishes higher.
This last weekend she competed in the Novi Family Pet Expo in, you guessed it, Novi, MI. Maddy jumped hard and long and made us proud but when it come down to it she failed to qualify for finals as the competition was stiff.
During Catch it Maddy just decided to stop running and eventually she decided to stop jumping into the water-FREEK OUT. Keep in mind last weekend she was injured with cold tail. A condition that can keep a dog from jumping.
The freek out part came from me. The typically calm cool and collective person lost it-On the dock. I threw my hat in disgust of myslef and not my dog. But, what it looked like was a little brat throwing a tantrum. I was mad at myself. But, the spectators totally would have perceived this as anger and disgust for my dog. I made an ass out of myself, out of my wife but most of all I confussed my lil puppy. She had no I dea what I was mad at. For all she knew I was mad at her. After a few "psychology Jumps" to try to get it out of her system she stopped jumping all together. I wasnted to cry. I am so good at keeping emotion inside of me but this time I waved it around like a flag in the wind. I was transparent and Maddy knew it. So, in my embarrassment I took Maddy outside with her bumper and played fetch for better than 10 minutes. She wagged her tail and retreived every toss with a deep focus and concentration that is most impressive-nothing would distract her from fetching the bumper. She was exhausted. I was still upset with my self-I could still feel my ears turning red and buring with the rush of blood that often comes with stupidity. Maddy was once again happy. On the way home she sat between Lori and I watching the lights of the other cars panting away and giving random puppy kisses.
Dogs are unrelenting with their love for us. Whether we are happy or sad they love us without thought of consequence or regret. They give puppy kisses because they cannot give hugs and say I Love you.
So, my analysis of this whole thing is that Maddy, being preceptive, felt that I needed to decompress and relax and to be reminded that she loves me. So, she took me outside and kept bringing that bumper back to my hand everytime with the fiercest of concentration and swiftest of paws so that I knew that no matter how big of a dummy I make myself out to be she still loves me more than anything or anybody. When I have a shitty day at work she is waiting for me on the steps so when I come through the door she is waiting and wiggling the rear 3/4 of her body-commoner call that tail wagging-ready to give me puppy kisses to let me know that the world is a day older and what is will always be and to tell me that she loves me.
They say behind every good man is a good woman. They're right.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NuCanoe Frontier 12

Last year I was able to purchase a NuCanoe Frontier 12.  after countless hours of web searching for the perfect 1 person fishing craft-for Fly Fishing. What did I look for -stability so I could stand and cast, site fish, haul and double haul -open flat deck to limit tangles and fouling -ability to customize -ability to add a motor and other electronics -puncture proof or at least very resistant -something with enough carrying capacity that I could do multi day overnight trips -storage -needed to be small enough to not take up all of the garage -needed to be gig enough -small enough for tight rivers -big enough for trips on big lakes-like Michigan, West Grand Traverse Bay, East Grand Traverse Bay,   Lake St Clare etc -Not stupid expensive-which eliminates everything over $1500 bucks (my expensive may differ from   yours). With this criteria I was able to narrow it down to the NuCanoe Frontier 12, Feel Free Lure and another brand but I forget the name so it doesn't ma

Soaring Bald Eagle

"Strike called on the outside corner, it went by him like a house on the side of the road." Ernie Harwell's voice would crackle over WJR 760. He would talk about the young Tramell, Whitiker, Parrish, Morris, Gibson all of whom came up in the Tigers farm system. My grandma Wini listened or watched every Tiger's game ever since I knew her. My grandpa Herman tried his darndest to get to do anything but read my Star Wars book. I loved Star Wars at that age it was everything and that was it. No way was I going to give up the Saga, and for what? Look at books of birds? Eagles? Its the late 70's and Luke, Leia Han and Chewie is all that mattered to a 7 year old boy. Try as he did I held to my laurels and didn't give in. Star Wars it was. My grumpy curmudgeoned grandfather uttered, "thank god for Star Wars." I was like, "YUP." Both of my grand parents have gone on to bigger and better things. Wini died in 97? maybe 98. I forget. Herm

You do What??

This morning I got up early to set off on another adventure in fly fishing.  A cool brisk morning with high sun should yield 1 or 2 willing browns.  People often ask me 'why I fly fish?"  "Why don't you just use lures it seems easier?"   And, "it looks sooooooo expensive".  I like this one...."I would never do something that cost so much to just throw the fish back in the water." Well, let me tell you.. A couple of years a go Lori and I moved to this area after getting an opportunity to manage our own PT company.  We wouldn't be owners just partners.  It was without a doubt been the most emotionally stressful point in my life.  The job has gone to shit to the point were I had to get a part time job (in a fly fishing shop) just to cover weekend stuff so we don't have to sit in the house all of the time.  But most people would have gone off the deep end, strangled their spouse, packed up and left....any number of alternatives to what w