Skip to main content

NuCanoe Frontier 12

Last year I was able to purchase a NuCanoe Frontier 12.  after countless hours of web searching for the perfect 1 person fishing craft-for Fly Fishing.

What did I look for
-stability so I could stand and cast, site fish, haul and double haul
-open flat deck to limit tangles and fouling
-ability to customize
-ability to add a motor and other electronics
-puncture proof or at least very resistant
-something with enough carrying capacity that I could do multi day overnight trips
-storage
-needed to be small enough to not take up all of the garage
-needed to be gig enough
-small enough for tight rivers
-big enough for trips on big lakes-like Michigan, West Grand Traverse Bay, East Grand Traverse Bay,   Lake St Clare etc
-Not stupid expensive-which eliminates everything over $1500 bucks (my expensive may differ from   yours).

With this criteria I was able to narrow it down to the NuCanoe Frontier 12, Feel Free Lure and another brand but I forget the name so it doesn't matter.

There were some other factors that came out such as Made in the USA Vs Thailand
Customer Service was a big factor.  I called NuCanoe and left a message.  donna called me back in a few minutes.  I called Feel Free and heard nothing for 6 weeks-and that was after I sent 2 more facebook messages.  Hmmmm.

Blake and Donna were great to answer questions and they did so quickly.  super easy to work with and that made my decision easy.

Since there was no dealer close to me NuCanoe shipped the boat direct to me work  The Northern Angler Fly Shop and Outfitter in Traverse City.  426 W Front Street Traverse City 231-933-4730

First Impressions.  Its big heavy and bulky.  It stuck out of the back of my truck.  After unwrapping it in my garage and installing the swivel seat I was hooked.  I sat on it and immediately imagined fishing all day form it.  Floating down the Manistee River chasing naturally run brown trout would be so great.  Quickly I added accessories, The NuCanoe casting bar, anchor wizard anchor crank, anchor management system, camera mounts, fly rod holder and a gear basket (or milk crate-same thing).

I couldn't wait to get it into the water but it was January in Traverse City MI so it had to wait.  Feb comes around with a great 60 degree day.  A rarity in TC.  I dropped it in the Boardman River behind the Y.  I paddled upstream for an hour.  It was a  tough go as this fig is not an easy paddler.  but I managed.  I floated down the river on this beautiful sun lit day.  After a few minutes I decided to try to stand and cast-right away I lost my balance I grabbed the casting bar-the boat tipped and I went in-not just anywhere-a 10foot deep hole right infant of a log jam.  Good thing the boat was anchored.  I went full yard sale-gloves, rod, coffee, water bottle all went down stream.  My waders filled up with Northern Michigan's clearest and coldest water (theres only 1 river with colder water) 39 degree water filled up my waders and soaked me.  good thing I had on a wading belt.  I grabbed the gunnel of my F12 and I was able to EASily pull myself back onto the deck.  I thought that was too easy to get back in.

That is the last time I've gone for a swim aboard the F12. I know where to put my feet and how to balance myself on it.

How Stable?  Grand Traverse Bay is world famous for its carp and smallmouth fishing on the fly.  Theres are some spots that are known for great fishing for both species in May and June.  I checked the weather 70 and sunny.  Sunny is not optimal on the bay as the water is crystal clear.  You could lay a book on the bottom at 10 feet and read it.  Im not joking.  bu this day had a 1-15knot north wind.  where I was a north wind meant ROCK and ROLL fishing.  Regular 2 foots with an occasional 3 footer rocked the F12-not 1 wave crashed over.  I pointed it straight into the wind and met the waves head on.  Not once did I feel like I was gonna go swimming.  I moved my body with the waves to keep the boat stable.  I could see the 20-30 inch carp swimming around in the protected areas.  I could stand and double haul with ease.  I just moved with the waves.  I didn't stand stiff I just treated it like a day of working on a balance board.  It was fun.  I felt like I was working hard-Fly fishing for the smartest freshwater fish is tough enough-but in 3 foot waves from a kayak?  Really, it was no problem.  The F12 was up to it and so was I.  No I didn't catch a fish.  Id say its tough to catch a carp on a fly crab or shrimp pattern than it is a musky on the fly.  Yeah, I said it.  Fish for carp without corn and hot dogs and see how had it is.

Since have the F12 Ive been able to get into water that never gets fished or only gets fished form shore.  theres one lake that has 1 access point.  1 mile hike through trails just to reach it.  The F12 with a c-tug transport and I am off.  Its hard work as my F12 rigged up is heavy and cumbersome, but I am no stranger to putting my head down and working hard.  This lake is worth the effort.  1 mile in and 1 mile out.  Bring a lunch and some water.  Ive fished this lake 4 times and 4 times Ive caught over 50 fish-Pike, Large Mouth and bluegill.  All on a fly rod.  Pike Fishing with a fly rod is so damn exciting.  Cast let the fly sink a bit and strip that line and them swing it a few times around the F12 because they will follow the fly and nail it just before you bring it out of the water.  Right in front of you  a foot away form the boat-BOOM.  The water just erupts with drama.  All I can do is laugh and have a great time.

Since Fishing on the F12 Ive been able to get into my largest Largemouth Bass 23 1/2" long and 7+ pounds and largest smallmouth bass on East Bay a 23 1/2 Behemoth over 6 pounds.  I know theres bigger fish out there but this is Northern Michigan.  We have a shorter growing season and a shorter fishing season for theses fish.  so timing is everything and to do on a fly rod in caribbean clear water where fish know you are there before you get there.

See pics of above stories below.

Im also a landscape and wildlife photographer BlackDogphotos.net BlackdogPhotog on instagram

The Nucanoe helps me quietly get into position to get a shot with my camera without disturbing or irritating them.


Thanks for reading.


Buy a NuCanoe Frontier 12 without regret.  Enjoy.

Future upgrades.
-Bow mounted trolling motor
-Simms Medium boat bag for gear

Here's the inaugural trip-yeah, the one I went for a dip.


Various Pics and Fish From various trip


































23  1/2" Smallmouth Bass on East Bay, Traverse City, MI


Here she is swimming away


23 1/2" Large Mouth Bass  Out right sloppy by Northern MI standards











Here is the big one swimming away.

Others caught on a popper





















Ever see a bluegill brain itself on a popper???








































Stopped along the banks of the Boardman river to see what this was.
Poor guy crawled over a log and died there.
Great pic opportunity, though.











Thanks for Looking.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

You do What??

This morning I got up early to set off on another adventure in fly fishing.  A cool brisk morning with high sun should yield 1 or 2 willing browns.  People often ask me 'why I fly fish?"  "Why don't you just use lures it seems easier?"   And, "it looks sooooooo expensive".  I like this one...."I would never do something that cost so much to just throw the fish back in the water." Well, let me tell you.. A couple of years a go Lori and I moved to this area after getting an opportunity to manage our own PT company.  We wouldn't be owners just partners.  It was without a doubt been the most emotionally stressful point in my life.  The job has gone to shit to the point were I had to get a part time job (in a fly fishing shop) just to cover weekend stuff so we don't have to sit in the house all of the time.  But most people would have gone off the deep end, strangled their spouse, packed up and left....any number of alternatives to what w

Soaring Bald Eagle

"Strike called on the outside corner, it went by him like a house on the side of the road." Ernie Harwell's voice would crackle over WJR 760. He would talk about the young Tramell, Whitiker, Parrish, Morris, Gibson all of whom came up in the Tigers farm system. My grandma Wini listened or watched every Tiger's game ever since I knew her. My grandpa Herman tried his darndest to get to do anything but read my Star Wars book. I loved Star Wars at that age it was everything and that was it. No way was I going to give up the Saga, and for what? Look at books of birds? Eagles? Its the late 70's and Luke, Leia Han and Chewie is all that mattered to a 7 year old boy. Try as he did I held to my laurels and didn't give in. Star Wars it was. My grumpy curmudgeoned grandfather uttered, "thank god for Star Wars." I was like, "YUP." Both of my grand parents have gone on to bigger and better things. Wini died in 97? maybe 98. I forget. Herm