Skip to main content

Cheese

For those that know me know that Alex "Cheese" Hawke took his own like a little more than a year ago.  He was a fellow shop lackey at the Northern Angler Fly Shop (TNA).  He had graduated with a finance degree and was working at a bank.  Just after tax season, April 28th.  It was crushing to hear.  I only knew Cheese for about 2 years.  We first met at Traverse City's Mens Night.  An evening where all of the downtown shops cater to men by staying open late and serving snacks and drinks.  It seems as though as the evening grows later the more people show up at TNA.  Some people were regulars and fly fished others just roll in for the free drinks.  Its a good time.
Cheese was a tall slender kid (early 20's) with dark fluffy hair and a big smile.  He was quick to give shit but laughed when he got it.  He rode a Kawasaki 250 motor cycle with a Harley Davidson badge.  He called it the "Hardly."  Fitting.  He sat at the end of the bar sipping a PBR chatting, talking about riding his bike cross country.  Camping, riding, exploring.  When he ended his life that chair sat empty.  The conversations continued but it was just a little quieter and less innocent.  It was without Cheese.

I find myself thinking about him often.  I didn't know him well.  But he was still a buddy.  I didn't think twice about striking up a convo with him, giving him shit or accepting shit from him.  Typical "bud" stuff.  I do think what if her were still here what would be different.  How would I be different If I knew about his demons.  If I would pick anything up from him that I was not comfortable with or any signal that would make me think or respond.  I go through in my mind asking myself....What could I have done differently?  What could I do to let him know that I cared?  What can I do to let him know that tomorrow would be better?  Maybe just maybe there was 1 thing, but I don't know.  Sometimes when the guys in the shop would laugh or pick on somebody (not even Cheese) he sometimes would have an awkward smile-like he didn't really want to laugh but did anyway.  Sometimes when he would have that awkward smile he would just look down at his drink or the floor.

But shit who the hell doesn't look at their drink or the floor or fiddle with their fingers etc  it goes on.  Fact of the matter

He couldn't shake his demons...and he felt that the only way to silence them was to end his life.

I miss Cheese.  He was just a nice, friendly good person.  We need more of him.

So, shortly after the TNA's owner, Brian Pitser, put together the "Cheese Cup Warm Water Slam Fly Fishing Tournament."  A simple way to raise a few bucks but to get people talking about a subject nobody wants to talk about-SUICIDE.  After announcing the Cheese Cup we got several emails from customers talking about their personal demons.  Many thanked us for opening the door to start openly talking about depression, manic depression, bi-polar and anxiety.  Again.  People who I often saw in the shop and nobody would suspect-were now opening up and talking about their issues.  It was kind of cathartic to hear this.  Letting me know that its okay to hurt and its okay to talk about it.

Our goal for the shop was to raise $3000.00 through registration fees and donations.  Well, in the end we raised over $10,000.00

The format for the tourney was teams of 2 could fish anywhere.  Ditch, pond, river, lake...wherever.  For Carp, pike, bass or bluegill.  Or all 4-hence the SLAM.  Get all 4 and you win. Year one was about numbers most fish of any category.  2018 was Biggest of the category or the smallest of the category.

We fished, laughed, shared stories, cried.  Opened up a little.  As a staff we got together after Cheese's service.  After a cooler of beers and some shots of windex we all needed Uber to get us home.  The entity that brought us all together served as the avenue to help us all recover and heal.  Brian, Matt and Annie Timmy and Bonnie, Evan, Ted, Ligman,  Lori and I let him go the way he most likely would do the same for us.  At the shop, sipping a beer and hanging out with his friends.


I don't know how much the Cheese Cup 2018 raised.  I am sure it'll be about the same as last year.  All of the money goes to Child and Family Services or Northwest Michigan, 3rd level Crisis Center.  they service all of Northern Michigan and as Linda (from the center ) says, "unfortunately its been a busy summer."

My background is in Sports Medicine.  I have been practicing Athletic Training since 1991.  I have been able to tape, bandage or rehab injuries for nearly 3 decades.  Mental health is something that cant be bandaged.  It is usually unseen.  It doesn't present itself with swelling, or disfigured joints, MRI'd or x-rayed. But it can be diagnosed and it can be treated-you just have to ask to have somebody take a look.

Cheese, though I didn't know you for a long time I knew you enough to share laughs and stories.  And that means a lot to me.

Rest well my friend.  Pain free and demon free.




If you are depressed...anxious....or having suicidal thoughts please don't hesitate to call.

Third Level (24 hours): 
(231) 922-4800 or
(800) 442-7315
(231) 480-0292 (text)
info@thirdlevel.org
3785 Veterans Drive
Traverse City, MI 49684

#cheese #cheesecup2018 #thenorthernangler #suicide #suicideawareness #help 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NuCanoe Frontier 12

Last year I was able to purchase a NuCanoe Frontier 12.  after countless hours of web searching for the perfect 1 person fishing craft-for Fly Fishing. What did I look for -stability so I could stand and cast, site fish, haul and double haul -open flat deck to limit tangles and fouling -ability to customize -ability to add a motor and other electronics -puncture proof or at least very resistant -something with enough carrying capacity that I could do multi day overnight trips -storage -needed to be small enough to not take up all of the garage -needed to be gig enough -small enough for tight rivers -big enough for trips on big lakes-like Michigan, West Grand Traverse Bay, East Grand Traverse Bay,   Lake St Clare etc -Not stupid expensive-which eliminates everything over $1500 bucks (my expensive may differ from   yours). With this criteria I was able to narrow it down to the NuCanoe Frontier 12, Feel Free Lure and another brand but I forget the name so it doesn't ma

You do What??

This morning I got up early to set off on another adventure in fly fishing.  A cool brisk morning with high sun should yield 1 or 2 willing browns.  People often ask me 'why I fly fish?"  "Why don't you just use lures it seems easier?"   And, "it looks sooooooo expensive".  I like this one...."I would never do something that cost so much to just throw the fish back in the water." Well, let me tell you.. A couple of years a go Lori and I moved to this area after getting an opportunity to manage our own PT company.  We wouldn't be owners just partners.  It was without a doubt been the most emotionally stressful point in my life.  The job has gone to shit to the point were I had to get a part time job (in a fly fishing shop) just to cover weekend stuff so we don't have to sit in the house all of the time.  But most people would have gone off the deep end, strangled their spouse, packed up and left....any number of alternatives to what w

Soaring Bald Eagle

"Strike called on the outside corner, it went by him like a house on the side of the road." Ernie Harwell's voice would crackle over WJR 760. He would talk about the young Tramell, Whitiker, Parrish, Morris, Gibson all of whom came up in the Tigers farm system. My grandma Wini listened or watched every Tiger's game ever since I knew her. My grandpa Herman tried his darndest to get to do anything but read my Star Wars book. I loved Star Wars at that age it was everything and that was it. No way was I going to give up the Saga, and for what? Look at books of birds? Eagles? Its the late 70's and Luke, Leia Han and Chewie is all that mattered to a 7 year old boy. Try as he did I held to my laurels and didn't give in. Star Wars it was. My grumpy curmudgeoned grandfather uttered, "thank god for Star Wars." I was like, "YUP." Both of my grand parents have gone on to bigger and better things. Wini died in 97? maybe 98. I forget. Herm